Monday 10 March 2014

Filing poetry, photos from the east and to-do lists

I've realised that I need to get better at filing my writing on the computer in a way that allows me to find things when I need to.  I belong to a poetry group and have been invited to perform some of my poems at one of the groups meetings at the end of the month.  So the search for my poems on my computer began in earnest this morning.  I knew it was going to be difficult as over the years all of my poems have been polished, re-filed and wrongly filed at least twice which has led to much duplication.  Its taken two hours of clicking and dragging, but I've succeeded in producing a new file containing the latest versions of them all.  All I need to do now is look at them all, perhaps tweaking and polishing as I go, decide which ones I'm going to read out, print them all off ............ and then practise reading them out loud ........and then devise a new filing system and stick to it.  Wish me luck!  A little poem I'd forgotten all about appears below - hope you like it.


Summer Fayre

Where.....
mad dogs and English folk muster to top up their sunburn,
the unplanned ice-creams tot up the weight watcher points,
the bouncy castles stir up the insides of full-bellied, shoe-less youngsters,
the weary tombolas re-distribute the unwanted Christmas gifts,
and teas are served with scones and jam and lack-lustre squirty cream
onto droopy paper plates.
Where....
the damp exhibition tent displays the art and craft of the local talent,
the polished produce of the hard worked vegetable plots gleam contently,
the beer tent heaves with red-cheeked men, and the odd loose woman,
fun will be had until the jazz band throws out its last lazy note,
and the laughter between friends old and new echoes out
into a summer moonlit sky.



 




We've returned from our 5 days on the east coast with slightly suntanned faces and white bodies, due to the cold but sunny weather.  We had a good look around the altered coastline caused by the storm surge in early December.  It looks like some of the beaches have been left to lick their wounds and accept their fate e.g. Happisburgh, and others like Cromer are undergoing massive re-structuring. 


  








 


Every week I write a to-do list but rarely tick off everything, this has resulted in many things making repeated appearances week after week.  So this week my challenge is to have nothing to take over into next week - wish me luck with this too!

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered writing shorter lists?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They often start short but other people then add things to them!!

    ReplyDelete